What is a Messenger Bag & Everything About Them
- WHAT IS A MESSENGER BAG?
- MESSENGER BAGS AND EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THEM
- WHICH TYPES OF MESSENGER BAGS EXIST?
- IS WEARING A MESSENGER BAG BAD FOR YOUR SHOULDERS AND BACK?
- WHAT ARE THE BEST MESSENGER BAGS FOR MEN?
- WHAT ARE THE BEST MESSENGER BAGS FOR WOMEN?
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST MESSENGER BAGS FOR TRAVEL?
- WHAT TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING A TRAVEL LAPTOP MESSENGER BAG?
- RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS
- 10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD BUY MESSENGER BAG
- VIDEO - GENTCREATE MESSENGER BAGS
- CLICK TO QUICKLY NAVIGATE TO A SPECIFIC SECTION -
A messenger bag dates back to the days of the Pony Express which was an American letter transportation service in the 1860s. Pony Express used riders on horseback to deliver the post, and the riders would carry their post in sacks similar to modern day crossbody bags that were slung over their shoulders. Today, messenger bags have become very popular among cyclists, students, and commuters as they are lightweight and offer hands-free carrying. There are many reasons to enjoy messenger bags, including their look, convenience, and adaptability. But what exactly are they? Don’t miss out! Stay with us to learn all about these unique bags!
Our Finest Products
What Is A Messenger Bag?
A messenger bag is a type of bag that is worn over one shoulder and across the body. Its unique feature is a flap that covers the top of the bag and is fastened with a buckle or strap.
Messenger bags are usually made of high-quality materials such as canvas or leather, but we will talk more about materials in the below section.
A BLOG WRITTEN WITH LOVE BY
MESSENGER BAGS AND ALL YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT THEM
Which Types of Messenger Bags Exist?
- Messenger bags come in a variety of shapes and sizes, each with its own distinct features. Some of the most common messenger bag styles include:
1. Classic Messenger Bag
• Classic messenger bag: This style is typically characterized by a rectangular shape, a flap closure, and a long strap that can be worn across the body.
2. Courier Bag
• Courier bag: A distinct bag indeed, this bag is similar to the classic messenger bag, but is often smaller in size and has a shorter strap that is meant to be worn over one shoulder instead of being worn crossbody or in any other way.
3. Backpack Messenger Bag
• Backpack messenger bag: One of the most unique designs definitely, this bag combines the features of a backpack and a messenger bag, and is typically larger in size than other messenger bag styles. It usually has a flap closure and one or two straps that can be worn over the shoulders.
4. Laptop Messenger Bag
• Laptop messenger bag: This easily distinguishable bag is specifically constructed to carry a laptop, and often has a padded compartment for the device itself. It may also have additional compartments and pockets for other items, and usually has a strap that can be worn over the shoulder, quite the classic, but with a modern twist.
5. Satchel Messenger Bag
• Satchel: A more sophisticated take on the messenger bag, satchels are often made of high-quality materials and feature a structured design. They may have a flap closure, a briefcase-style handle, or both, and usually have a strap that can be worn over the shoulder.
6. Messenger Briefcase
• Messenger briefcase: A great option for businessmen or women on the go, this bag features a more rigid design than other messenger bags as it was mainly designed for short use during office hours. In addition to that, this bag often isn't actually worn but is made to transfer stuff from your home to the office, then to keep your stuff secure while you work. This bag typically has a sleek design and is made of leather or another high-quality material. It has a flap closure and a strap that can be worn over the shoulder and often features additional compartments and pockets for organization.
7. Crossbody Messenger Bag
• Crossbody messenger bag: A brother to the classic messenger bag, but with ergometry in mind, and with a strap that goes across the body instead of just over one shoulder. This makes it more comfortable to wear for long periods of time and helps distribute the weight of the bag more evenly, in addition to that it can be switched between shoulders to ease the stress caused by wearing a bag for too long - more about back problems and shoulder pain in the section below:
Is Wearing A Messenger Bag Bad For Your Shoulders And Back?
If the bag is too heavy or if you do not distribute the weight evenly, then it is possible that wearing a messenger bag could lead to pain in the shoulders and back. However, if your messenger bag is the right size and weight and if you are wearing it correctly ( the way it was made to be worn ), then it is unlikely that it will cause you any problems - There is no definitive answer, as it depends on the person and the bag itself.
Which messenger bag to pick to avoid getting a sore back and shoulders?
There is no one messenger bag that is guaranteed to avoid causing a sore back or shoulders, as it depends on the individual and the bag itself. However, some tips to avoid getting a sore back or shoulders from wearing a messenger bag include:
• Make sure the bag is not too heavy.
• Distribute the weight evenly by packing heavier items closer to the body.
• Adjust the straps so that the bag sits comfortably on the body.
• Choose a bag with a padded strap for extra comfort.
What Are The Best Messenger Bags For Men?
The best messenger bag for a man should be more rugged and the size of the bag should be proportional to your appearance, it may look clunky if you choose a large messenger bag while being smaller in stature, and vice-versa. The best messenger bags for men are those that are both stylish and functional. They should be large enough to hold all of your essentials, but not so bulky that they become a nuisance to carry around. Messenger bags should also have plenty of compartments and pockets to keep your belongings organized and easy to access.
What Are The Best Messenger Bags For Women?
There are many factors to consider when choosing the best messenger bag for women, such as style, size, and functionality.
Some of the best messenger bags for women include the following:
1. Small tote messenger bag: A small tote messenger bag is perfect for carrying just the essentials, and can be easily stowed away when not in use.
2. Satchel messenger bag: A satchel messenger bag is a stylish option that is also roomy enough to hold a laptop or other work materials.
3. Messenger bucket bag: A messenger bucket bag is a great option for those who need to carry a lot of items with them, as it features a large, deep interior.
Ladies often spend more time looking at the mirror and deciding what to wear and which accessories to bring, so having a unique bag to compliment your outfit will definitely be a plus style-wise!
What Are The Main Characteristics Of Messenger Bags?
Comfort. The main function of messenger bags compared to other bags such as briefcases is the hands-free feature.
Functionality. Messenger bags by default have more compartments and pockets than other bags to help keep your belongings organized for work or travel.
Durability. Messenger bags are less damaged during use as they only have one flap, and often don't even feature a zipper which is the first thing that gets broken when using a bag of any kind.
How To Choose The Best Messenger Bags For Travel?
A good bag is essential for any traveler. Messenger bags have become more trendy then ever for travel as they allow you to keep your phone in your hand and take photos and videos of landmarks and sights without needing to hold a bag in your hand. Of course, a bag should be large enough to carry all of your essentials, but not so bulky that it adds extra weight to your luggage. Even better if you bring a carry-on messenger bag which can go with you when boarding an airplane. A great travel messenger bag will also have several pockets and compartments perfect for storing passports, tickets, and money cards while you’re on the go.
Here are three tips to make sure your messenger bag is well-packed:
1. Sort Your Pockets.
Make sure that each pocket has a purpose, whether the pocket is used for quick access essentials such as a water bottle or a money holder, make sure to sort the pockets accordingly so that you know where your items are at all times.
2. Business or Pleasure?
Are you going on a spontaneous trip where you'll be using your bag mainly for exploring, or are you planning a more structured trip where you'll have set destinations and timelines?
If you're taking a trip with a flight in mind, pick a carry-on bag to avoid overweight luggage fees and factor in what size and type of bag you'll need to keep your passport, tickets, and other travel documents separate.
3. Choose Your Style!
Finally, think about the aesthetic you want for your bag. Do you want a casual look, or are you aiming for a more sophisticated messenger bag?
What To Consider When Buying A Travel Laptop Messenger Bag?
Size: You want to make sure the bag is big enough to fit your laptop, charger, and any other essentials you need to bring with you, but not so big that it's cumbersome to carry.
Comfort: A laptop messenger bag should be comfortable to wear, even when it's full. Look for features like adjustable straps and padding in the back panel.
Material: When you are looking for a laptop messenger bag, you should definitely consider canvas material. It will protect your laptop from any bumps or scratches. Besides, canvas is a breathable material, so your laptop won't overheat while it's in the bag.
Compartments: Depending on how you like to organize your belongings, you may prefer a bag with multiple compartments. This can help keep things tidy and easy to find.
Water resistance: A water-resistant messenger bag will keep your laptop dry in light rain or from accidental spills, ensuring that your electronics are protected - choose waxed canvas or genuine calfskin leather for an extra waterproof messenger bag.
HAND-MADE | ACCESSORIES
Why You Should Buy Messenger Bags Online at Gentcreate
• CLASSIC & VINTAGE DESIGNS
Our vintage messenger bag designs will bring that extra oomph in your daily fashion life. Shop our large selection of vintage leather messenger bags and vintage canvas messenger bags and choose one best fitting with your fashion sense!
• PERFECT FOR TRAVEL
Our cutting edge designs are not only functional for travel, but also for overnight stays or weekend travel. Our large collection of travel messenger bags for both men and women will absolutely fulfill your needs for a perfect travel bag!
• HAND-MADE & ECO-FRIENDLY
Our sophisticated messenger bag designs do not come at a cost for the environment. Rest assured that each messenger bag we make is being made with utmost care for our ecological environment, so every purchase at Gentcreate is a eco-conscious one. See below why you should purchase a messenger bag at Gentcreate.
10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD BUY A MESSENGER BAG
- Hands-free Carrying
- Classy Look
MESSENGER BAGS BY GENTCREATE
Watch this video to learn why Gentcreate messenger bags are so well received with our customer audiences & why you should consider buying a messenger bag for you or your loved ones.
This video shows the best features of GENCREATE Messenger Bags
With so many different types and designs of messenger bags available, it can be hard to know which one is right for you. But with a little research, you can find the perfect bag to suit your needs. Whether you're looking for a business bag to take to the office or a strong bag for your outdoor adventures, at Gentcreate you will find all the important tips, as well as the ideal bag for your preferences.SCROLL TO TOP
Related Blog Posts from Gentcreate
Benefits When Shopping at GENTCREATE
FREE Worldwide Shipping
We offer free world-wide shipping for all orders & carbon offset shipping.
Buy our eco-friendly, sustainable & cruelty-free products to support our mission.
98.8% Positive Reviews
Join our happy customer list by buying a hand-made product at GENTCREATE.